Litany of Complaint from Enriching Our Worship 5
From Enriching Our Worship 5: Many of these prayers and liturgies may be adapted for times like these.
Each worshiper should adopt the posture most helpful to the full expression of his or her grief
- One: Hear the cries of your people, O God.
- Many: We will lament and not hold back.
- One: We will refuse to be comforted.
- Many: Until we have made known to you our sorrow.
- One: We are bereft.
- Many: Our souls cleave to the dust.
- One: Our eyes are wasted with grief.
- Many: We are drenched with tears.
- One: Our hearts melt like wax.
- Many: Our souls melt away for sorrow.
- One: We are poured out like water.
- Many: Our bodies are racked.
- One: Our eyes have failed for watching for your promise.
- Many: When will you comfort us?
- One: We open our mouths and pant in pain.
- Many: Why do you stand so far off, O God, and hide yourself in time of trouble?
- One: Our eyes shed streams of tears.
- Many: Our indignation consumes us.
- One: We cry out to you.
- Many: We grow weary with our groaning.
- One: Early in the morning we call to you.
- Many: Let our cry come before you, O God.
- One: Deliver us according to your promise of mercy.
A brief silence is kept.
- One: O God, we wait for you.
- Many: More than sentries wait for the morning, our souls wait for you alone.